About Me

I'm adventurous when I want to be, but I'm just as happy watching a movie at home. I'm married to my best friend who makes me laugh on a regular basis & a son that makes me happier then he will ever know. I strongly feel that the most important thing in life is your relationship with Christ and your relationship with others.

Monday, August 16, 2010

For the Love of...SLEEP!

What could possibly have me roaming through our garage at 1:30 in the morning you ask? The pursuit of sleep...or more specifically ear plugs.

I used to be a light sleeper, which brought about my addiction to having a fan at night so I could block out the noise around the house (no thanks to the DiPastenas or Mandy) :) I've learned however that although I have to still have a fan to fall asleep, I don't need one to stay asleep. In fact, I don't even hear John snoring anymore except from time to time and he snores every night (ask any of our friends we've camped with or shared a room with).

So what then could keep me awake? It's best described in an episode of FRIENDS...as most things are. This would be the episode where Phoebe gets in a fight with the smoke alarm. Can you see where this is going?

Saturday night around 11:00 the smoke alarm started beeping...John fiddled with it as we got ready for bed and ended up putting in a new battery, which solved our problems. Last night however must have been the night of the living dead b/c the same detector started it's rantings again...except this time it was 1am. Here is the best part...some how when one goes off it sends a signal to the others...one just happens to be right above our bed.

Whoever designed these things must have figured out what would be loud enough to actually kill you and then tone it down one octave. These things are loud enough to not even hear yourself scream profanities (not that I would know). John would finally get it to stop (I don't know how...my head was under the pillow) and 30-45 minutes later it would start again which would send enough adrenaline through your body to run a marathon in 15 minutes!

The only ear plugs I could find were attached by a cord that goes behind your head for working in the yard...fingernail clippers changed that, but I still jumped when it went off again around 2:30am. Through the groggy sleep & deafening sound I was convinced that these were not just smoke detectors, but also carbon monoxide detectors & we may possibly die, but John was quick to remind me that we don't have natural gas at our house. :)

All I know is there will be a screw driver beside my bed tonight and one peep from that alarm and it's going to be completely detached...probably forever. Yes, I'd rather have a big hole in my ceiling.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Erica said...

HA!! That was funny! And I can relate because right now it's almost 1:30 am, and I can't sleep because Rhett decided to get up and take a stroll around the room. He NEVER does that...and I must have amazing ears because the first time I was fine, but then he did it again, and it disturbed me enough to not be able to go back to sleep!!! I agree...for the love of sleep!!