About Me

I'm adventurous when I want to be, but I'm just as happy watching a movie at home. I'm married to my best friend who makes me laugh on a regular basis & a son that makes me happier then he will ever know. I strongly feel that the most important thing in life is your relationship with Christ and your relationship with others.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

For the Love of...Running?


Someone explain to me how people can LOVE to run. I mean, they truly love it.

As I left our neighborhood yesterday I waved to our neighbor that I only see out running. He runs at least 5 miles a day...for enjoyment. Those are his "easy runs." Then I was talking with another friend that just had a baby and is already training for a marathon. These people enjoy this. I mean they truly do this for pleasure!

Do you know what I love?
cake.

It made me think, do I have anything that I enjoy to do that is healthy for me? I'm gonna have to answer NO!

I've ran before. It was about 3 years ago that I trained for the Nashville 1/2 marathon, but do you know what part of that running ritual I forced myself to do daily that I loved?
stopping.

I can do it. I can force myself to grind it out & I enjoy the benefits of it, but the actual running itself is torture. It gets easier, but I would never say to myself "you know what I want to do instead of relax on the couch with a good book or movie...I think I'll go run 10 miles!"

To all you "I just ran a marathon for fun" people out there, I envy you. I envy every part of you that looks forward to putting those shoes on and hitting the pavement & I seriously think you may get an extra crown in heaven for it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! I also hate to run and love cake! I keep telling myself that I would love it if I would just try it, but I can't get the motivation to even try. Oh well!

Lindsey said...

I'm trying to run again, but oh how I prefer cake over running! It is torture. I use to really like it- never loved it- when I had a fun friend to run with. I don't get how people can run that much every day. Even when I did the half marathon I didn't run that much everyday. lol

SJonesG said...

Amen, Amen, and Amen. I agree with the entire post! I wish I had whatever they have that makes them love it. They don't realize how fortunate they are to have that desire to work out or run. I can't begin to muster up enough interest to even get started! I'm so proud of you for trying and I know you will succeed as you always do!