About Me

I'm adventurous when I want to be, but I'm just as happy watching a movie at home. I'm married to my best friend who makes me laugh on a regular basis & a son that makes me happier then he will ever know. I strongly feel that the most important thing in life is your relationship with Christ and your relationship with others.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Picture Perfect


We've all heard about Heidi Montag's 10 plastic surgeries in a 10 hour period & have our own opinions on it. You can check out an interview where she talks about it here.

Where do you go with this? Blame TV & magazines? Blame her parents? Blame Hollywood? Blame America's obsession with picture perfect people? The root of Heidi's self image (along with many other women) could be attributed to any or all of the above.

It makes you think though doesn't it? Of course we would never raise our children to be so superficial right? We raise them to have a healthy self image & know that beauty comes from within, right?

You could go in a million different directions here, but it made me think about the everyday pressures we, the average American ladies, the normal suburbia gals have when it comes to beauty. I started thinking about my daily routine when it comes to getting ready & some things that I know I probably should do, but don't. I made a quick list in my head of the things that wouldn't be seen as uncommon "beauty treatments."

Hair:
-endless products to make it have more body, be straighter or curlier
-make sure it's trimmed regularly
-have a cut that promotes "style"
-use hot oil treatments when it gets super dry
-don't show roots
-curling irons, straighteners & a million other tools to whip it into shape
-special shampoos depending on your color or type

Face:
-trim, wax & pluck eyebrows
-wax mustache if necessary
-curl eyelashes
-plenty of makeup options
-lip plumper, stick, gloss
-use a retinoid cream at night to keep away wrinkles
-use a daily face moisturizer with sunscreen to keep away wrinkles
-use a more gentle lotion for eyes, day & night
-wash off make up every night
-spot treatment on acne or sun spots
-exfoliate when needed
-facials are good options to minimize pores & not uncommon

teeth:
-brush
-floss
-keep them white
-get them straight

hands:
-keep nails shaped
-trim you cuticles
-painted nails is perfected
-must be soft & moisturized
-exfoliate when needed

I've not even made it to the rest of the body! Talk about high maintenance. Sure we may not do all of the above on a regular basis, but I'd say most do! I fee like as soon as you complete all that, it's time to start it over! Can you imagine the pressure in Hollywood!?

I'm not making excuses for Heidi..the girl obviously has some issues. I just wonder if we were in her hollywood glammed up world -where even more is expected of your looks- would her 10 surgeries in 1 day sound quite so crazy to us?

The bottom line though is that we care entirely too much about our looks in this country. We all know that so I won't go on and on about it. I'm not saying that it's wrong to care about your looks or to put time and effort into making yourself look good, but it becomes an issues when your looks become a mask & you try to portray to the world that you are someone that you're not. When it becomes that much of a focus it becomes a problem.

thoughts?

1 comment:

SJonesG said...

Totally agree with you. When we travel to Europe and other countries the women are in no way as "polished" as American Women.. NoWhere. I was shocked at the female newscasters even in Europe.. I'm talking London, Paris, Milan, etc... I think we've gone way way too far with perfection in this country. I love that Europe recently rejected advertising with Twiggy on the cover. Everyone knows that Twiggy is 60ish and they photoshopped her to look 20 on the cover and Europe rejected it! I was going to write a blog on that and forgot... so glad you did! Believe me, you younger girls look fabulous without all that stuff.. enjoy it while you can cause it gets harder to look good as you get older.