Thanksgiving was amazing. John and I had so much fun relaxing, eating & showing Rochester to my parents. It was quality time that I wouldn’t exchange for anything & I put some pictures up below of us decorating for Christmas & taking the dogs on walks (scroll over for captions).
Thanksgiving had me thinking about the word “family” and what it means to me. I decided I wanted to see what Webster’s dictionary had to say about the word “family.” It cracked me up! There were 8 definitions…one including a “family hood”—a unit of a crime syndicate such as the mafia. Haha. The definition that I like the best was “a group of people united by certain convictions or a common affiliation”---like a fellowship. It made me start to reflect on the different “families” I belong to!
There is a difference between a group, an association and a family. There are certain people in your life right now that you know will always be in your life. Those people to me are family. Some people feel that blood relatives are all they could every truly consider to be family. It’s not that way for me. I come from a small blood family—my mom, my dad & me. I can’t imagine us being any closer than we are. I wouldn’t change one thing about my childhood, my parents or the relationship I have with them. However, my family really is bigger than that. When I think about family I don’t just think about my parents or John. I have girlfriends I would consider family & others like the Dipastenas or the Haynes that are family to me. John suggested I start calling Marbi and Andrew my Aunt and Uncle when I explain to people who they are. Hahaha. People can’t completely grasp the concept of what they are to me unless I give them an appropriate family title. If Marbi was my “sister” or my “cousin” then it would be easy for people to understand our friendship. When I say, “they were my youth pastors, but we’re really close” it just doesn’t come across the same way. The truth of the matter is that they are my family. In fact, growing up I spent many Thanksgivings with them at their house in Charlotte and it wasn’t weird at all!
Family is what you make of it. It’s not DNA…it’s a relationship that has higher rank than a friendship. When you think of family you think of people you can rely on at any moment…someone that has to be there for you b/c they are family. :) They are the people you want around you in the middle of a crisis. They are the ones you feel most comfortable around…let your guard down & be your true self. It’s relaxing, refreshing and refilling to be around these people…this family. The best part about family is there is honesty. Telling someone something they don’t want to hear is one of the hardest responsibilities of family, but only family can do something that hurts so bad & see you through to the other side.
I may be an only child, but my family is big! In fact, my family is huge & I love it! I’m so thankful for the people that are in my life. The people that have surrounded me with prayer, memories, laughter & friendship. Happy Thanksgiving to my family!
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comment:
I ADORE you and I love reading your blog. And you may not know why you got voted to homecoming court but anyone who knows you, knows why!!! :)
Post a Comment